As announced over the summer, Denison this year is requiring all students to receive the annual influenza (flu) vaccine. Denison has set up on-campus vaccination clinics with multiple convenient time slots (details below). All students must have received a vaccine by October 12 to avoid being in violation of Denison’s COVID-19 guidelines and the Community Care Agreement.
This year’s vaccine mandate represents Denison’s efforts to safeguard campus from the influenza virus and to help mitigate the spread and effects of COVID-19.
Appointment schedule: Sign up for an on-campus Flu vaccination at this link.
- September 23 from 11 am - 6 pm in Slayter 3rd Floor
- September 25 from 8 to 11 am and 3 to 6 pm in Slayter 3rd Floor
- October 6 from 12:30 to 6:30 pm. Slayter 3rd Floor
Most insurance (including Denison's) covers the cost of flu vaccinations. When individuals sign up for an appointment, they will be sent a form to complete and provide their insurance information. For those without insurance or insurance that does not cover the flu vaccination, $31.00 dollars will be charged to your student account.
Financial assistance will be available for those who qualify.
Why is this so important?
- The seasonal flu and COVID-19 are likely to spread through society together -- the flu vaccine mitigates the risk of this “double” hit.
- We are living in a pandemic that is already putting a strain on people’s health and public health resources -- minimizing the spread of flu is critical to minimizing these already serious strains.
- Flu vaccines save lives -- in recent years, the flu vaccine has averted millions of influenza illnesses nationally, millions of medical visits, and tens of thousands of hospitalizations and deaths.
- Health care providers (including those on Denison’s campus) need your help -- flu vaccines will help conserve the resources and energy of medical professionals and other health care resources that are needed to address the ongoing pandemic and other medical conditions that cannot be addressed through a vaccine.
- Anyone can catch and be severely sickened by the flu -- you can’t count on your age or health condition to protect you from flu and everyone should be vaccinated to avoid illness and transmitting flu to others.
Beginning on Sept. 23 through Oct. 12, 2020, appointments for Denison students to receive their flu vaccination are available across campus. Appointments are required due to physical distancing, but ample appointment slots are available. Vaccinations can also be obtained at CVS in Granville and other area pharmacies and other locations, but documentation must be provided.
Students who require a medical or religious exemption must complete and submit the required form and any supporting documentation before Sept 23, 2020. Exemption requests must be submitted by that deadline and will not be considered afterward. Every Denison student must have been vaccinated or must have received an official exemption by midnight on Monday, October 12, unless approved for an exemption.
Denison students who choose not to be vaccinated or otherwise do not declare an acceptable exemption will be required to move off campus and participate in remote learning for the remainder of the academic year.
To comply with the Influenza vaccination requirements you must complete one of the following: