We are excited to welcome you back to campus this fall! It’s safe to say that Move-in will look different this year. We need all students and their loved ones to pay close attention to these details so that we can help everyone return to The Hill safely. The requirements and structure below will help make a safer environment for your Move-in day.
Not Including yourself, the maximum number of people in your Move-in party is limited to two (2). This means you + 2 helpers. To limit the number of people on campus, please plan to have your helpers depart the residence hall and campus quickly after you have moved all items into your room, preferably within 2 hours of arrival.
Before Move-in day, engage in a conversation with your Move-in party to see if any members are at a higher risk for serious illness from COVID-19. By the very nature of Move-in day, there will be more people than usual on campus and in residence halls.
It is necessary to bring students to campus with a staggered approach. For your safety and the safety of those around you, we ask that you arrive only during your scheduled Move-in time slot to allow for appropriate physical distancing measures.
Move-In Time Slots
Your Move-in date is determined by your class year status.
- Incoming first-year students will move in on August 13, 2020.
- Returning students and transfer students will move in between August 14 and August 16, 2020.
- All students are required to schedule a Move-in appointment.
Move-in time slots will be available to schedule starting July 10, 2020 and must be scheduled by Friday, August 7, 2020 at 12:00 NOON EASTERN TIME. These are first-come, first-scheduled and we cannot guarantee a specific time slot or date to families. The sooner you schedule, the greater amount of choices you will have.
Schedule your Move-in appointment
- Your arrival will be scheduled under the “Assignments” area of your main MyHousing Portal landing page. Clicking “Update My Time” saves your selection.
- You are only able to schedule one Move-in appointment. Each student must schedule individually; do not arrive with your roommate(s). Please schedule wisely, as we cannot accommodate late changes.
- If a particular date/time is not available, it means that time slot is full. Please choose another date/time.
- Pre-approved early arrivals for athletic or other extracurricular activities have been arranged by coaches and on-campus directors. Students to whom this applies will see a time slot for the date they are approved to arrive. No other early arrivals will be accepted.
- On the date of your arrival, you will receive a confirmation that will include your scheduled time slot and additional instructions. Please arrive only during your scheduled Move-in time slot. Early arrivals will be sent to a holding lot to wait for the scheduled time slot.
- All traffic must arrive via the East Gate of campus (by Mitchell Center on Pearl Street/Route 661). You will proceed through a regulated traffic flow with checkpoint stations. You will not be able to use any other campus entry.
To help protect the health and safety of the Denison campus, we expect all students to follow these guidelines:
Please pack light. Students should bring only the essentials for ease of moving in and out. Please do not bring personal furniture or items that are challenging to move independently.
- Consistent with the Guide to Fall 2020, face masks or cloth face coverings are required for you and your helpers during Move-in.
- Adhere to the traffic flow and stop at each required location when asked to do so.
- Be prepared to move in as quickly and efficiently as possible. The number of students will be limited in each time block to help maintain physical distancing and will allow others to move in more safely.
- Pay attention to your physical proximity to others. Be vigilant about maintaining a six-foot radius between individuals outside of your moving party.
- Bring your own face coverings and always wear them.
- While rooms will be clean, you may wish to bring along wipes and sanitizer.
Monitor and Track Symptoms:
- To reduce the risk of spread of COVID-19, it will be important for each member of the Denison community to monitor their own health. We ask all faculty, staff, and students to complete a daily symptom check throughout the semester. In preparation and in order to establish good habits, we are asking all students to begin symptom monitoring and check in two weeks prior to arrival on campus. Each day beginning July 27, students will complete and submit their daily symptom check. More details about how that will occur will be sent to students as we approach July 27.
- During Move-in, staff will check the MyWellness Portal to ensure students have completed their daily symptom check. In order to protect the community, we also ask any visitors traveling to have also monitored their own symptoms for two weeks prior. Students who cannot access the portal prior to arrival should contact the Wellness Center at Wellness@denison.edu or 740-587-6200.
- If you are feeling ill or have a temperature (100.4°F/38°C), you should delay your arrival until a later date when you are feeling better or after consulting with a medical professional.
- You will have limited time to park your vehicle near your residence hall during Move-in. Please be prepared to unload at the curb quickly and move your car into a satellite parking lot. You may only unload one car at a time; if you bring more than one vehicle, other vehicles must be parked in a long-term parking lot nearby. Please leave one driver with your vehicle during unloading outside the residence hall at all times.
- All cars that will remain on campus once your Move-in is completed must be parked in the areas designated for long-term parking.
- If you would like the height of your bed adjusted, please make a request via your MyHousing portal. MyDenison > MyApps > MyHousing > Applications > Bed Lofting Request. Requests are due by July 17th and no requests will be accepted after that date.
- Residence hall access requires a student ID card. The Student Housing Office needs First-Year students to submit your photo online so we can prepare your ID. Returning students who have lost their IDs may request a replacement. Instructions, request forms, and photo requirements are available on MyDenison. Taking this step as soon as possible will speed up your Move-in day experience. For questions, contact email@example.com.
Mail and Packages
- You may mail items in advance. Your mailing address was provided in your housing assignment letter earlier this week. Remember that your mailbox number is different from your room number.
- For fall term arrivals, you may begin shipping items to your Slayter Box. Please pick up mail promptly upon arriving on campus as mailrooms reach capacity quickly.
- If you stored items at Denison over the summer months, please be on the lookout for additional information coming soon. Per your storage waiver, an orderly retrieval process will commence when students return to campus.
Available Denison Staff
- Staff will be available on campus to help troubleshoot and give directions.
- Residential Communities staff will be identifiable via nametag throughout Move-in day. They may assist with general questions.
- Physical Plant staff will be available to assist via work order. Staff will not enter rooms during Move-in unless a work order is emergent in nature.
While we realize that this year's Move-in process is more detailed than in other years, it has been intentionally designed to reduce risk for students and their helpers. We are excited for your arrival to campus, and we look forward to seeing you in a few weeks!
FIRST YEAR ADDENDUM
Not Including yourself, the maximum number of people in your Move-in party is limited to two (2). This means you + 2 helpers. To limit the number of people on campus, please plan to have your helpers depart the residence hall and campus quickly after you have moved all items into your room, preferably within 2 hours of arrival. Helpers should not plan to return to the residence halls after moving in items.
After moving in, loved ones of First-Year students should head to Move-in day activities outside on Academic Quad. These opportunities, including our Information Fair on Reese Shackleford Common, with opportunities to meet Dean of First-Year Students Mark Moller, will be ongoing throughout the day, no matter your Move-in time slot.*
*Please note this information was updated August 3.
My roommate/best friend/acquaintance/mere stranger I know scheduled a time slot. I’ll just arrive with them. Cool?
- Not cool. Each student needs to schedule their own, individual time slot.
I need to come on a different date/a later time/etc.
- We can guarantee a time slot for each student, but not a specific time or date.
May I come early? I have a very special circumstance.
- To ensure a safe and physically distanced Move-in process, we cannot approve early arrivals. Returning students have 3 arrival dates to choose from and we ask students to plan around those dates.
I am traveling with a friend and we couldn’t get the same time slot. May I come during their time
- Each student must schedule a time slot. We cannot guarantee a specific slot or date or time, however there are plenty of time slots available for all students.
I booked travel that does not align with the Move-in time slots. I need to arrive after hours.
- We ask that you plan to adjust your travel arrangements or plan to secure off-campus accommodations and arrive the next day (via a scheduled time slot). To ensure a safe Move-in, we need each student to check in via the established process, which includes in-person contact with the Wellness Center and other steps. Since we have some time before Move-in, please make every effort to arrive within the scheduled time slots.
I need to change my time slot. Can I do that?
- Once scheduled, you are able to adjust your time slot until Friday, August 7, 2020 at 12:00 NOON EASTERN TIME.
How do I know my time slot is reserved?
- You will receive a confirmation two days prior to your arrival with additional information. Until then, you can exit your portal and then re-enter and you will see the time you saved is still listed.
I am an upperclassmen with first-year sibling — can I come on first-year Move-in day?
- Yes. You will see you are able to schedule for August 13, like your first-year sibling. Each student should schedule their own time slot.
I am an early arrival. Do I need to schedule a time slot?
- Yes. Each individual student must schedule a time slot. If you are approved to arrive early, you will see that you are able to schedule a time slot for your early arrival date.
My roommate and I wish to arrive on the same date/time. Is that allowed?
- Since you’ll be living together, we consider roommates a "family unit" and thus, you can move in at the same or similar times if you wish (ensuring you schedule individual time slots). You will want to make that choice after discussion with your Move-in helpers. If the families wish to stay away from each other because of other health concerns, comfortability, etc., then you’ll want to pick times apart from each other.
Does our 2-hour Move-in window start when we arrive on campus or at the residence hall?
- Please understand that moving in with your helpers is just that; loading items into the room. Room set-up and decorating can happen over the next few days. The expectation is that you move in quickly and that your helpers depart within 2 hours.
If my roommate and I schedule the same time slot, do we need to arrive together or be in line together
- No. Each individual student has a scheduled time slot and arriving during that time slot is your individual responsibility.
If we’re bringing two cars, do we both vehicles have to wait in line?
- Your additional vehicles will be sent to overflow/waiting parking while you proceed through the check-in line.
If I’m arriving alone, do I need to unload my belongings on the curb and move my vehicle before I can move in?
- If you’re arriving solo, load items into your room quickly and then move your vehicle to make way for the next vehicle.
I’m early, can I check in now?
- If you arrive ahead of your scheduled time slot, we will ask you to wait in a holding lot until your time slot opens.
I’m late, can I check in now?
- If you arrive later than your scheduled time slot, we will first honor those scheduled for that time slot and work you into the flow as space allows.
What do I need to have ready when I arrive?
- Patience and excitement to return!
- Student ID
- Cell phone
- Be prepared for a symptom check