Facilities personnel are applying a multi-layered approach utilizing multiple control strategies to minimize risk of transmission through the air. Depending on building systems and population density in buildings, control strategies may include:
- Maximizing the amount of outdoor air ventilation
- Minimizing recirculated air
- Increasing filtration efficiency
- Using new air filtration devices
- Bypassing of energy recovery systems with potential for cross-contamination
- Ongoing maintenance to ensure proper function
These strategies will be coordinated with space allocation, scheduling, planning, disinfection and cleaning measures.
Initial efforts are focused on ensuring building systems are all working as expected, prioritizing additional measures based on use and occupancy. The above mitigation measures will be implemented with more frequency as population density on campus increases through the summer and with the start of fall classes.